Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lingerie Secrets "T" Sport Bra


The first PatternReview.com contest of 2010 is the Activewear Contest. I had been wanting to make this "T" Sport Bra from pattern designer Jan Bones, who designs a line of patterns called Lingerie Secrets, for some time and had just the fabric. Her website is located here: http://www.sewinglingerie.com/ .




I bought this spandex fabric from Spandex World in 2008 with the intention of making a bathing suit with it. But when it arrived, I decided I didn't like the sequins and glitter for the pool. It seemed more like dancewear, so I put it aside. I decided this would be just the thing for a non-boring alternative you normally get in the solid color sports bras you buy in the store. So I decided to use this fabric to make my sport bra.




The Lingerie Secrets "T" Sport Bra comes in sizes Small to XLarge and XL1 to XL4, fitting busts from 32" (81 cm.) to 53" (134 cm.). One of the most attractive features of this pattern for me was the separate pattern pieces for bust cup sizes A, B, C, and D, since I always need to do a full bust adjustment on my patterns.

I made the size Large with the D cup pattern piece, to fit a high bust of 36 inches and full bust of 40 inches.

Before cutting the fabric, I tissue-fitted the pattern pieces to myself. What was I thinking?! Of course, it wasn't going to fit. The pattern is paper and the fabric is spandex! Of course, I forgot about that and panicked when it didn't fit. I added 2 inches to the sides and top before cutting it out. And after sewing it up; yeah, yeah, it was too big and no support either. Off came the 2 inches. It fit!

What an incredibly easy pattern to sew! There are only two pattern pieces: a front and a back.





At the sides, the extra fabric is tucked or pleated very attractively. However, Jan states in her instructions, that you may also gather this if you prefer gathers to tucks.












I also decided to underline my sport bra with cotton lycra for more comfort and breathability. Here is a picture of the completed back of the garment, showing the underlining.








And ta-dah! Below are some completed pictures of the front.







And here I am, just back from the gym, wearing it!





3 comments:

Wholly Fool said...

Wow, so beautiful! Very nice fabric choice. How did you add the lining?

Sew, Lucy, sew! said...

I recut the pattern using the lining fabric. Then I placed the two pieces together, wrong sides together (this is actually the technique for underlining) and sewed as one.

Unknown said...

I like the design. the fabric seems nice. discount sports tickets