Monday, February 11, 2008

Wardrobe Contest 2008 and SWAP

OK. I'm NOT going to do the Wardrobe Contest for 2008--at least not officially. In the first place, the dates are not good for me. Here's why:

--younger DS's fabric for a robe came in from FFC on Feb. 1st and I want to work on that
--still working on elder DS's skishirt
--younger DS wants another pair of pajamas and I'm working on that
--bought a serger this month, want to play with that and learn it!
--signed up for Shannon Gifford's Beginner Sewing Lab 101 on PR, which starts Feb. 15th--can't wait!
--may sign up for another class shortly
--just found out about SWAP and storyboards and want to learn how to do these before daring to officially enter anything.

So here's the unofficial:

I've divided my stash into 3 similar color combinations: wine/burgundy; purple/lavender; and magenta/pink. I'm going to concentrate on the wine/burgundy collection this year and will try to teach myself new techniques as follows:

--how to plan a SWAP/wardrobe
--how to make a storyboard (may start out low-tech and work up to Photoshop)
--how to alter patterns for fit (forward shoulder alteration, shortening arms, perhaps high back alteration, all using P/P Fit for Real People)
--developing a basic collection of TNT patterns, so when I DO enter a Wardrobe or SWAP contest next year, I won't have to worry about choosing so many untried patterns

I may consider the mini-wardrobe contest later and definitely the fabric and pattern stash contests upcoming later this spring and summer.

I will use the Wardrobe Contest 2008 rules as best as I can as far as garments go. That means:

--a jacket or dress
--1 accessory
--4 tops
--and 4 bottoms.

When do I start?
Well, I cut the fabric for one top last night, so I guess offically, I started Feb. 10th.

Will I keep to the deadline of May 9th (extended for when I officially started)??
I don't think I can make it, but I will see how many garments (including my sons' garments) I can get done during the time. I am tasking myself to try to do as many as possible without making a bunch of trash I won't wear, as I really, really want to do this next year.

Oh and by the way, SWAP is an acronym for "Sew with a plan." Its very similar to Wardrobe Contest and each year Timmel Fabrics holds a SWAP contest. Many thanks to Sherril on PR for educating me on yet another worthy concept.

No comments: