Thursday, April 17, 2008

Beginner Sewing Lab 102

In continuing my pledge to learn new things in sewing this year, I started a new online class through PatternReview on tax day. Its Shannon Gifford's Beginner Sewing Lab 102; and today was Lesson Three.

I took Lab 101 in February and loved it. Because I'd had experience sewing, I hemmed and hawed about taking it. In the end, the price ($36.00 for 10 lessons to PR members) won me over; and I figured that at $36 it wouldn't hurt to see if the classes were worth it.

Online classes are very convenient. You sign in on your schedule, not the teacher's or organization's. You may print the material or save the files to disk. Of course I'm doing both! There's also a message board where students can post questions about stuff they don't understand in the written material or ask about projects they're working on. Its very educational to read the problem and the teacher's answer. PLUS, you get the bonus of being permanently subscribed to the message board and can go back again and again. There's also a homework gallery where you can take photos of your projects and upload them to the gallery.

I actually DID learn quite a few things in Lab 101 and picked up a lot of information on how to organize one's sewing space, fabrics, and projects.

Soooo, I'm now in Lab 102 which is called Cut, Mark and Fuse; and loving it. I never knew you should preshrink your notions, such as zippers, bias tape and interfacing. Picking up lots of good stuff in 102 already! Will be taking 103 and 104 later in the year.

No comments: