Monday, April 14, 2008

Fabric Fast 2008

There is a very amusing thread on the PatternReview.com message boards that I stumbled across about a month ago. It is called "Fabric Fast: 2008, Can I last the whole year?". On April 2, 2008, I added it to my Topic Tracker and have been a lurker every since, reading all postings and thinking about the concept really hard. Joining this thread requires a commitment to buy no more fabric until such time as certain goals have been achieved!

Today, I made the big move. I posted to the site that I'd be joining. Its important to me to reduce my fabric stash because I have so many nice fabrics that I really had forgotten I had until I started inventorying my stash. I also won a lot of fabric from the 2008 Finish Your UFO Contest that I am committed to making for Elliott this year. So with joining, I've come up with some rules:

--inventory entire stash and keep strict inventory on what comes in and goes out thereafter
--sew all the garments from Sewzanne's that are intended for Elliott's summer wardrobe
--reduce stash by one-third in 2008
--continue to see each project as a learning new sewing techniques project, so I'll be faster at finishing projects

So far, I've inventoried about two-thirds of my stash. I think I have about 50 yards still needing inventorying.

I haven't bought fabric since March!

I've managed to reduce my stash by 2 yards since March. I know this is pathetic, but children's clothes don't require much fabric.

Here's all my statistics so far:

Old Stash: 48.875 yds
2008 Stash In: 33.25 yds
Total Fabric Out: 2.0 yds

Total Items Made: 2 (again since March)
Total Items in Progress: 3 (pullover, apron, boxers all for Elliott)

Total Items Planned: ?? Too many to know, but here's some initial plans:

shorts for Elliott: DONE (only 1 yard)
workout shorts (me): DONE (only 1 yard)
shirts for Elliott: 4
robe for Elliott: 1
sweatsuit for me: 1 (2 pieces accounting for 3 yds.)
swimsuits for me: 2
swimsuit coverup: 1
skirts for me: 2
sew. machine cover: 1
tops for me: 2

This ought to keep me busy at least through the summer!


No comments: