Friday, December 19, 2008

BurdaStyle.com

BurdaStyle.com is a website for open source sewing. Its like "Freeware" in the computer software world. Here people can post the patterns, instructions--if any, and technical drawings of sewing projects they've designed. Moreover, sewers and seamstresses can post pictures of their creations using the patterns and place comments. Several BurdaStyle.com patterns have been reviewed on PR recently that have caught my eye, including:


Franzi 9302 --a vest that RusyBobn recently reviewed. She joined a sew-along to make this, and there was a podcast about it.

Leg-of-Mutton Knit Top --a knit top with an interesting bodice and strange-looking "leg-of-mutton" sleeves. NiceGirl on PR reviewed this. The jury is still out here. Not sure what I think of it from the pictures.

Danielle 9306 --this is a dress which a PR reviewer recently did. She left off the sleeves and turned it into a jumper that can double as a cocktail dress. Very classy with low scoop neckline I really like.

Retro Top --this is my favorite pattern I've seen. This top looks like it popped right out of the fifties or sixties and is very stylish and vintage-looking. I want a top like this!

The trick for these patterns is that you have to print everything out, including the pattern pieces--which you tape together. You may need to resize some of them to 100%.

If I can figure it out, I will be doing the retro top and may even enter it for my stash contest.


No comments: